Sunday, August 10, 2014

Having To Take A Few Steps Back

For the past 5+ years, I have defined myself as an ultrarunner. I would spend countless hours searching online for future races, discussing with fellow ultrarunners about race courses, figuring out what nutrition my body needs during long runs. . . and the list goes on and on. I loved reading fellow runners reviews and race reports of certain races that I would sign up for. My 2013 was filled to the brim with races. I loved seeing all my fellow trail running friends and being surrounded by beautiful terrains. I look back on that year fondly. 
Glacial Trail 50M with my buddies Ben and Sarah Willis
This year, I only ran one race. My race of the year was my dog's 5K race. It was, by far, a favorite race for me. I got to run with my running training partner and I was about 6 weeks pregnant. He killed it and finished in about 22 minutes. This finishing time also included a poop break along the course. . . . .my dog's poop break. :) If this was another year of ultra running, I'm sure I would be deep into some sort of ridiculous training plan and would have accumulated several finishers medals by now. But, this year I am embarking on a life changing ultramarathon that will never have a real finish line. My current training schedule consists of eating well balanced meals, getting in my cardio, strengthening my core and pelvic floor muscles and finishing up chiropractic school. Man, this years training schedule looks way different than my normal plan. 
Glacial Trail 50M 2013


I love seeing my friend's Facebook posts about all their wonderful racing accomplishments or viewing pictures of beautiful trails that they just ran. I'm, no doubt, envious of those adventures. I wish I was out there having adventures of my own this summer. As I begin to feel the jealousy rise, I  remember what a beautiful adventure I am on. Every day brings a new sensation or a continued excitement for my growing family's future. There is no ultra finish that could even compare to this growing excitement or sense of awe that I am currently feeling. I have tossed around the idea of running a race this year. Maybe a half marathon would be a fun thing to do while pregnant, but my running is not at a level that I would feel comfortable running a half marathon while pregnant. I think it's so cool when pregnant women run races, but it's a very personal decision and I'm a little nervous about possibly injuring myself or my little one. So, I will continue to run as long as my body allows me and will continue to be amazed at my wonderful running friends and their accomplishments. 

. . . . . . . but I AM planning my 2015 race schedule. . . . .  :) I guess I will always be an ultrarunner at heart.  



No comments:

Post a Comment