Friday, April 15, 2011

All That It's Crocked Up To Be

The many joys of a crock pot. This may sound a bit melodramatic, but I am in love with our crock pot. We got it as a wedding present and, when we put it on our registry, I had no idea how much joy and pleasure we would get from it.

When I was little, I remember my mom making dinner in the crock pot. Everything always turned out moist and delicious. I remember the house being filled with the aroma of roasting meat. It also brings back images of warm chili during the cold days of winter. There is just so much nostalgia that is created by a simple kitchen gadget.

Bill and I really enjoy a healthy Sunday night dinner and the crock pot has allowed me to make a great dinner, without sacrificing my Sunday preparing it. I have made pot roasts, chickens, pork tenderloins and meatloaf. My favorite is the meatloaf recipe. It uses ground turkey and shiitake mushrooms, instead of red meat. I love it so much I decided to post it and hopefully, you too, can enjoy this delicious dinner with your family.



Ingredients
2(1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
1.5 pound ground turkey
1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup grated fresh onion
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preparation

Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until crumbs measure 1 1/3 cups. Combine the crumbs and next 6 ingredients (turkey through garlic) in a large bowl, and shape meat mixture into a 9 x 6-inch loaf. Place loaf in an electric slow cooker.

Combine ketchup, mustard, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a fork. Spread ketchup mixture evenly over top of loaf. Cover with lid; cook on LOW for 5 hours.

Nutritional Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount per serving
Calories: 265
Calories from fat: 43%
Fat: 12.7g
Saturated fat: 4.2g
Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
Protein: 25.2g
Carbohydrate: 12.7g
Fiber: 1.9g
Cholesterol: 152mg
Iron: 3mg
Sodium: 545mg
Calcium: 41mg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trust me, if you decide to make this for dinner you will not be disappointed. It also makes delicious leftovers as well. Also, enjoy this meal with a beverage. I would imagine an India Pale Ale or Brown Ale would compliment this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment