Sunday, April 13, 2014

Getting My Groove Back. . . .

Throughout the country, this winter was ROUGH. The trails were covered with snow, the sidewalks were frozen over and the deep freeze made us all worry we were going to lose an appendage. Sure, there were days of sunshine and mild temps but those days were few. Like most of us, I too became a victim to the dreaded winter. I lacked motivation to go out and do serious training this winter. I had a goal race in April, but due to schedule conflicts I can no longer do that race. I was left feeling lost. Last year, I did an ultramarathon practically every month. So, not having a race lined up has thrown me for a loop. It's weird not having that pressure to go out and get those miles because your race is only a few months/weeks/days away. I never follow a training schedule, I just like to run long on the weekends and do shorter miles during the week. In addition to my lack of scheduled training, my diet took a plunge. I am still eating 80% paleo, but have had way too many homebrew beers and the occasional pizza. I know it's not a lot, but I can definitely tell that my body is not in tip top shape. My energy is low and my runs just feel sluggish. 

No more of this!!
This past week, I decided to get my sh*t together. I started a new round of Whole30. Eating Whole30 makes me feel energized and amazing! I didn't have to really take too many things out of my diet, but I definitely needed to eat way more veggies and fat than I was eating during the winter. Also cutting down on drinking homebrewed beers is a must. . . (as I write this my hubby is making 20 gallons of more beer. I will just have to have a little more self control). My hubby and I did Whole30 last summer and we both were in better shape than when we first met. After just 1 week, I can already see a huge difference. 
Sounds rough, but it really isn't

I've also decided that I won't be doing an ultramarathon this summer, but will plan on one in the fall. I may do a half marathon or marathon this summer, but I haven't decided on that yet. I am planning on running Long Haul 100 mile in January 2015 (278 days away. . . but who's counting).

This will be mine come January 2015

My plan this year is to be CONSISTENT. I feel like in years past, my running has always had a goal of "training for that next race, so I better clock as many miles as I possibly can". Since I started running,  I never have been very consistent with just short miles to build consistency. I have been having a nagging back issue that is primarily due to my anterior core being turned off and my posterior core hanging on for dear life. This week was also the start of rehabbing my core every night and my back is thanking me for it. This is the first time in a long time that my back hasn't been hurting as much. I am also incorporating kettle bell work as well. As most runners can attest, weight training is usually very low on our totem pole. Incorporating weights into a running program is key to staying injury free and activating those muscles that become chronically inhibited due to repetitive running. These chronically weak muscles force other muscles to do their work and that's when injuries set in. . . . enter my nagging back issue. 

Yesterday was the first time that it was in the 70's here in Chicago. I busted out my running skirt and got some glorious miles in solo. I usually take my dog with me, but I really just needed some quiet time on the trails. Today, I took my dog Obi Wan with me and he appreciated it. With the birds chirping and the sun shining, it feels amazing to have a refocused desire for running and a plan for the future. 

The BEST running partner a girl could ask for, Obi Wan 

Don't worry if this winter took your running mojo from you too.  It happens. The best thing you can do is to lace up those shoes and go out for a run or even a walk. Refocusing on your goals and the real reason you began running in the first place is how you get that mojo back.

No comments:

Post a Comment