Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 5 - Welcome to the Gun Show

I am in school for massage therapy, and throughout my studies have come to realize that many over-use injuries are the result of synergist (helper) muscles doing the job of primary muscles.

For example, if you have a week transverse abdominous (your inner "belt" of abdominal muscles for posture) then other muscles have to compensate, such as your lower back muscles.

Being a runner, I usually despise any non-running activity. It never gives me that same feeling I get after a run. I decided to try P90X. It is a DVD workout program, that stresses "muscle confusion". A kinesiology law states that your muscle will adapt to the force placed upon it. If all you are doing is running, your body becomes adapted to that activity. This can cause non-running muscles to become weak and other muscles to become over active. In other words, it's not good to just do one activity since overuse injuries are so prevalent.



I started the program 5 weeks ago and I love it. It means I wake up earlier than I used to, but it's a lot of fun and I really feel like I'm getting stronger all over. This week is the beginning of Phase 2, which means things are going to be getting harder. (There are 3 Phases, but you continue to cycle through them so you are always on the Program) I never do push ups, but this program stresses push ups and I'm actually starting to enjoy them. This morning, the workout was biceps, chest and triceps. The Phase 2 workouts are definitely more challenging and I may have to get another pair of dumbbells soon. Right now, my biceps are pretty sore. It feels great!

We will see where this takes me, but I'm hoping that this will pay off and increase my running performance and limit the amount of injuries this year. If you want, I would pre-order your tickets to the Gun Show. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment